[ HISTORY ] [ 3. REALISATION ] [ A. PLANNING ]
 


.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 


The first sod was cut by Mrs W.H.Lever on 3rd March, 1888, the ceremony signifying the commencement of the development of Port Sunlight on the site on the banks of the Mersey, purchased by Lever. Bounded by a tidal inlet which flowed to the river on one side and the main Birkenhead/London railway line on the other. It was far from being what is now termed, 'prime building material' - some of the land being marshy and crossed by ravines which would need to be filled in. This initial 56 acres cost Lever 200 an acre and he subsequently purchased another 165 acres, 130 of the entire holding were to provide the site for Port Sunlight Village.


[ PREVIOUS IN SEQUENCE] [ NEXT IN SEQUENCE ]